LMS Touring Company is seeking equity performers for replacements for Les Miserables national tour.
Kaitlin Shaw – Casting Director
- JEAN VALJEAN – 35-40s. Sings to B (high lyric baritone or tenor with strong low notes). A poor peasant who rises to affluence, he has great natural nobility and dignity. A powerful figure, ideally a large man with a character of operatic size and passion. The voice needs to have a pop/rock sound or a classical sound of extraordinary textual clarity.
- JAVERT – Baritone, sings to G. Policeman who relentlessly hunts Valjean. Ideally a large man. The ultimate “law and order” figure. Obsessed, to the point of irrationality, with a rigid and merciless moral code. He too is a character of operatic size and passion. Both belt voice and classical can suit this role but must have a darker quality than Jean Valjean.
- THENARDIER – Late 30s-40s. Strong comic character role. A crooked innkeeper, later a petty, amoral thief. Greedy, irreverent, selfish, boorish, vulgar. Baritone, sings to F sharp.
- MARIUS – 20s. High baritone (sings to A) with a strong bottom (to A). A member of the revolutionary student movement. Attractive and romantic but in a sensitive, 19th century “byronic” way.
- ENJOLRAS – 20s-early 30s. High baritone (to G sharp/A) very strong singer. Charismatic political figure. Leader of the revolutionary movement.
- FANTINE – Late 20s/early 30s. Belt up to C, sings to E flat. Poor factory girl, struggling to support her fatherless daughter. Later is a pauper, a prostitute, a consumptive and a ghost. Earthy and poignant. Although is finally defeated by circumstances she should appear to be strong and a survivor. She puts up a valiant fight against the horrors of her life.
- COSETTE – 18-25 (the younger the better). Fantine’s daughter (first seen as and played by a child) delicate, elegant, vulnerable and beautiful. Falls in love with and later marries Marius. Soprano (to high C) but a light, young “floating” sound, without heavy vibrato.
- EPONINE – An enormous and beautiful belt voice, to C in belt (sings to E flat). Daughter of the Thenardiers but in no way behaves like them. Fired by an unrequited love for Marius. Small, gamine, waif-like. Hasn’t learned to disguise her emotions; wears her heart on her sleeve.
- MADAME THENARDIER – 30s-early 40s. Tough, sharp, coarse, boorish, vulgar. Strong character comedienne role. Belter.
- ENSEMBLE/SWINGS – Male and female singers of all types. All men sing to G and most will cover Principals. All ladies belt up to C & most will cover Principals.
Time & Date: Friday October 20th 2017 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Dial 011 at front door.