Director & Choreographer: Casey Nicholaw
Producer: Sonia Friedman
Productions General Manager: Bespoke Theatricals/Amy Jacobs
Book and Lyrics: Tom Eyen
Music: Henry Krieger
Music Director: Nick Finlow
Casting: Tara Rubin Casting/Eric Woodall
2018 Rehearsal/Run dates pending
All principal characters in DREAMGIRLS are African American.
- EFFIE WHITE – 18- late 20’s. Lead singer of ‘The Dreamettes’. Later she gets fired from the group when Deena gets given the lead. Headstrong, sassy, temperamental, a diva. Powerful gospel singer required with brilliant belt. African American. Principal role.
- DEENA JONES – 18- late 20’s. Becomes the lead singer of “The Dreams.” Marries Curtis but leaves him when she finds out about his illegal activities. Wants to become an actress. Beautiful. More of a commercial pop vocal. African American. Principal role.
- LORRELL ROBINSON – 18- late 20’s. The softer of the three “Dreams” Tries to keep the peace. Starts a relationship with Jimmy. African American. Principal role
- CURTIS TAYLOR JR – Early 30’s. A used car salesman who talks himself into becoming ‘The Dreamettes’ Manager. Later becomes Jimmy’s Manager too. Resorts to payola, bribing DJ’s to play his clients music. Dates Effie but eventually marries Deena. Con man, forceful, a cheat, determined. African American. Principal role.
- JIMMY ‘THUNDER’ EARLY – Early 30’s. A popular RnB star who, over time, loses his fame. Married but has an affair with Lorrell. An outrageous ‘star’ performer. High energy, chaotic. African American. Principal role.
- C.C WHITE – 18- late 20’s. Effie’s brother. A songwriter. African American. Principal role.
- MARTY – Late 40’s-50’s. Jimmy’s Manager. Quits as Jimmy’s Manager when Curtis starts to take over. Later becomes Effie’s Manager and teaches her to rebuild her confidence. African American. Principal role.
Please prepare a ‘Motown inspired’ pop or rock and roll song of the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s. An accompanist will be provided. Please bring a picture and resume, STAPLED TOGETHER.
Time & Date: Monday, June 05, 2017 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Where: Pearl Studios NYC (500) 500 8th Avenue 4th floor
New York, NY 10018-6504
EPA Procedures are in effect for this audition.
An Equity Monitor will be provided.