A casting call has gone out for the upcoming civil rights period piece feature film, Best of Enemies. The movie will star actress Taraji P. Henson, seen weekly on the TV series Empire, and recently in the award-winning motion picture Hidden Figures. According to Deadline, the film is based on Osha Gray Davidson’s book by the same name which chronicles the true story of Ann Atwater and C.P. Ellis. Atwater was a civil rights activist from Durham, North Carolina, who had a decade-long battle with Ellis, the “Exalted Cyclops” of Durham’s Ku Klux Klan. Deadline says their tumultuous battle came to an “abrupt and unlikely end in 1971,” when, after a court-ordered desegregation of the city’s schools, the two agreed to co-chair two-week community meeting to try to reach a compromise.The events that followed changed the city, and changed the lives of both Atwater and Ellis completely.
As of right now, they are currently seeing the following.
- 1960’s MIDDLE SCHOOL PARENTS GROUP – Seeking Men and Women, Ages late 20’s to 60’s. Because of the pre-bought wardrobe, ladies must be a size 12 or smaller, and guys must be a 38″ waist or smaller. Everyone must have their natural hair with no colors or highlights. Works June 8th and 9th. Must be available BOTH days. Fitting on 5/26, 5/30 or 5/31. Email subject line: PARENT GROUP ONE.
- 1960’s PARENT GROUP 2 – Seeking Men and Women, Ages late 20’s to 60’s. Because of the pre-bought wardrobe, ladies must be a size 12 or smaller, and guys must be a 38″ waist or smaller. Everyone must have their natural hair with no colors or highlights. Works June 9th. Fitting on 5/26, 5/30 or 5/31. Email subject line: PARENT GROUP TWO.
- CAUCASIAN BAR WAITRESS – Seeking a Caucasian female with real-life waitressing experience. Should be between 30-40’s years. Please list your experience in your submission including dates and locations. Also note if you are comfortable using a tray when running orders.
Must be able to make a fitting on Thursday, May 18th near the airport. Works on Wednesday, May 24th. Email subject: WAITRESS
- DAUGHTER OF PRINCIPAL ACTRESS – Seeking an African American female to portray a 16 yr old daughter of a principal actress. Can be 15-17 years or can be 18-20 yrs, but look 16 yrs. Be sure to include your age and birthdate in your submisison. Parents, be sure to include your name and contact information also, when submitting a minor. Works on Wednesday, June 7th. Email subject: DARLING
- YOUNG AFRICAN-AMERICAN MOTHER – Seeking an African American female ages 20-30’s years. Should be comfortable being with and around children. Works on Thursday, June 8th. Email subject line: DEAREST
- ANTIQUE STORE OWNER (2-day booking)- Seeking a Caucasian male between ages 35-70’s years to portray an antique store owner for a TWO DAY BOOKING! Character faces and types are more than welcome to apply! Works on Monday and Tuesday June 12th, 13th. Must be available for BOTH days. Subject: ANTIQUE OWNER
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN WIFE of PRINCIPAL ACTOR – Seeking an African American female that is late 20’s-early 40’s years. Please list any acting experience you may have, if any, or include an acting resume. Works on Monday, June 12th. Email subject line: BETTER HALF
- CAUCASIAN PHOTOGRAPHERS – Seeking Caucasian males ages 20-50’s to portray photographers. Please list any experience you have using a 35mm film camera. Works on June 14th, 15th and June 23rd. Must be available for all 3 days. Should have flexible, open availability in case of any date changes. Email subject line: APERTURE
- CAUCASIAN MALE REPORTS – Seeking Caucasian males to portray reporters. Should be ages 20-50’s years. List if you are proficient with typing on a typewriter (not a computer). Please include any experience and your WPM, if known. Works June 6th, June 14th-16th and June 22nd-26th. Should have an open and flexible schedule in case of any dates changing. Email subject line: REPORTER
- VOLUNTEER WORKER – Seeking an African American or Caucasian male or female for a very featured role. Should be between the ages of 18-40’s yrs. List any previous volunteer-type work you have done before, if any: PTA, School Fund Raisers, Assistant Coach, etc. Works on Wednesday, June 21st. Email subject line: VOLUNTEER
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN STUDENTS – Seeking TWO African American males ages 18-20 yrs to portray younger high school students. Must be a size 34 waist or smaller. Please list any acting experience you may have in your submission, or include an acting resume if you have one. Works on Tuesday, June 27th. Email subject line: DYNAMIC DUO
- CAUCASIAN FRIENDS OF PRINCIPAL ACTRESS – Seeking ONE Caucasian male and TWO Caucasian females to portray friends of a principal actress. Should be between ages 18-20 years to portray seventeen year olds. Males should be a size 34″ waist or smaller. Females should be size 00-4. Works on Wednesday, June 28th. Email subject line: GROOVY
- DIVE BAR PATRONS – Seeking Caucasians ages 30-70’s years to portray patrons at a local dive bar with blue collar patrons. Character faces and/or facial hair are great for this. Works on Wednesday, May 24th. Email subject: CARAFE
- KLANSMAN GOON – Seeking a tough Caucasian male to portray a Klansman goon. Must be clean shaven, cannot be bald and should be between ages 20-50’s years. Individuals with muscles or crazy looks would be great for this! Or a look that says blatently says, “I do NOT want to cross this guy”. Works on Wednesday, May 24th. Email subject: GOON
- FIRE SAFETY INSPECTOR – Seeking a Caucasian male between the ages of 30-50’s yrs with a distinguished (no extinguished) look to portray a Fire Safety Inspector. If you have any experience in this field, or a related job – include that experience in your submission!
Works on Thursday, June 1st. Email subject line: FLAMMABLE
- DINER MANAGER – Seeking Caucasian diner manager between the ages of 30-50’s years. Must have all-natural hair. No coloring. Please include any experience you may have working in a restaurant or in the food industry. Works on Thursday, June 1st. Email subject line: MANAGER
- CAUCASIAN BASEBALL UMPIRES – Seeking two Caucasian males with real-life experience working as umpires. Experience can range from Little League to Minor League to the Major Leagues. List your experience in your email. You’re not out yet – make the right call and submit now!
Works on Friday, June 2nd. Email subject line: UMPIRE
- HUSBAND & WIFE – Seeking a Caucasian male and a Caucasian female to portray a featured couple. Feel free to submit as a couple or individually. Males should be between the ages of 45-65 years and females between 40-55 years. Works on Friday, June 2nd
Males use subject: BREAD
Females use subject: BUTTER
Couples – you guessed it, use email subject: BREAD AND BUTTER
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN LAWYER – African American male between the ages of 30-50’s years to portray a lawyer. Individuals should have an intellectual and clean-cut look. Please submit photos in business attire. Works on Thursday, June 8th. Email subject: PROSECUTION
- CAUCASIAN CHARRETTE ATTENDEES – Seeking Caucasian males and females of all ages to attend a charrette! All types are needed for this scene – wealthy types, intellectual types, character faces, blue collar, white collar, ring around the collar, etc. Works on Friday, June 16th
Ages 20-80’s years use email subject: DESIGNER
Ages 18-19 years, use email subject: PLANNER
- STAND-INS (GROUP 1) – This group of stand-ins will work almost every day, Mon-Fri from July 7th through Aug 16th.
Be sure to list your experience and availability in your submission.
RATE: 140/12 5’8-5’9 AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE
Should have a small/athletic frame. Bald to very short hair.
Works July 12th through Aug 16th
Use subject: CURLY STAND-IN6’0 AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE
Approx 200 lbs and should have a muscular/athletic build. Should have shorter hair.
Works July 7th through Aug 16th
Use subject: LARRY STAND-IN5’8″ HISPANIC MALE
Should have a smaller, athletic frame. The longer the hair, the better!
Works July 7th through Aug 16th
Use subject: MOE STAND-IN
- STAND-INS (GROUP 2) – This group of stand-ins will work every day, Mon-Fri from July 7th through Aug 16th.
Be sure to list your experience and availability in your submission.5’5 AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE
Should have a small/petite figure. Approx size 2-4
Works almost every day June 6th-June 29th
Use subject: PEANUT STAND-IN5’8 CAUCASIAN MALE
Should be approx 165 lbs with brown hair.
Works almost every day May 22nd-June 29th
Use subject: CASHEW STAND-IN
6’1 CAUCASIAN MALE
Should be approx 225 lbs with balding, gray hair.
Works almost every day May 24th-June 29th
Use subject: ALMOND STAND-IN
5’10 CAUCASIAN MALE
Should have a smaller/athletic frame with black hair.
Works almost every day May 22nd-June 2nd
Use subject: CHESTNUT STAND-IN
5’6 CAUCASIAN FEMALE
Should have a small/petite frame. Approx size 0-2.
Works every day May 30th-June 8th
Use subject: WALNUT STAND-IN
5’9 CAUCASIAN MALE
Should have a medium size frame approx 165 lbs.
Works June 1st, 2nd and June 15th-June 27th
Use subject: MACADAMIA STAND-IN
5’9″ CAUCASIAN MALE
Approximately 210 lbs with salt and pepper hair.
Works May 25th, June 9th-June 13th
Use subject: PECAN STAND-IN
5’10” AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE
Should have a medium/athletic frame. Approximately 185 lbs.
Works June 12th-June 27th
Use subject: PISTACHIO STAND-IN
6’0″ CAUCASIAN MALE
Should be approximately 210 lbs with gray hair.
Works June 15th-June 27th
Use subject: ACORN STAND-IN
To submit, please email 3 clear, well-lit, recent photos of yourself along with your name, age, height, weight and current phone number to: Submissions@CatrettCasting – Don’t forget to list experience, if applicable. Parents – remember to include your name and phone number when submitting your child(ren). Be sure to use the correct subject line(s) when submitting.
Source: CL Casting