The AMC television series “TURN” is currently filming in the Central Virginia area, and Arvold Casting has scheduled an open casting call seeking locals to work as background characters who can look authentically as if they are from the Revolutionary War period for extra roles, including group military scenes, farm field workers, and tavern and village scenes. Set in the summer of 1778, show tells the story of New York farmer, Abe Woodhull, who bands together with a group of childhood friends to form The Culper Ring, an unlikely group of spies who turn the tide in America’s fight for independence.
The following are especially encouraged to attend:
- MEN (especially with long hair) with military types who look proper to the Revolutionary War period. Beards were not popular during the Revolutionary War, and so nearly all of our male roles require men to be clean shaven. Hair long enough to be pulled back into a ponytail (even if there is no actual ponytail beyond that) is very highly desirable. Please let us know if you have experience with Revolutionary War era marching and military drills, or any other unique skills and background relevant to the time period. All ethnicities are needed…especially African American and Caucasian.
- WOMEN with long, natural looking hair, including those who can knit, use a spinning wheel and/or have other unique skills and background relevant to the time period. All ethnicities are needed…especially African American and Caucasian.
- CHILDREN who look proper to the Revolutionary War period (slender, long hair needed for both sexes), are comfortable outdoors, are good at following directions and comfortable in new situations. All ethnicities are needed…especially African American and Caucasian.
- MEN and WOMEN and CHILDREN with characteristics which reflect any physical challenges and/or unique features, including but not limited to: noticeable facial scars, blind or missing eyes, imperfectly healed broken noses, missing teeth, missing limbs or digits or any kind of amputation. All ethnicities are needed…especially African American and Caucasian.
- AFRICAN AMERICAN MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN able to realistically portray house slaves/field workers during the Revolutionary War period.
It is most preferable that you attend the open call (no appointment needed, hence the name OPEN call) to be considered for background work on the series. They are old school and want to talk to you in person!
SOME IMPORTANT NOTES BEFORE YOU PANIC THAT YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO ATTEND: 1. If you’ve already been working on the show, there is no need to come to the open call – we already know you! 2. If you’ve submitted electronically previously by following our electronic submission instructions, we’d love to meet you but know you have been in consideration and you will remain in consideration for the rest of the season.
And, this is how you may submit electronically…please follow the precise directions here: http://arvoldcasting.com/casting-calls/amc-television-series-episode-104-background/
ALL BACKGROUND PLAYERS WILL BE LOCAL RICHMOND HIRES (there is no lodging provided), and MUST HAVE OWN TRANSPORTATION.
Open call is OPEN to both union and non-union members. All experience levels welcome.
*Note to SAG-AFTRA members: Please bring your SAG-AFTRA membership card with you so that you may identified as such and be escorted to the separate SAG-AFTRA line.